All Operating Systems have a system of files called Host Files and plain text files referenced by an operating system that map hostnames to IP addresses. Sometimes these files are referred to as hosts. They can be used to block any website on a computer or network.
This article teaches you how you can block any on your Windows PC. To be able to this, you will need a text editor such as Notepad for Windows.
At the end of this article, you will lear how to;
- Block Websites in Windows XP
- Block Websites in Windows Vista
- Block Websites in Windows Windows 7
- Block Websites in Windows Windows 8
- Block Websites in Windows Windows 8.1
- Block Websites in Windows Windows 10
Guide To Block a Website on Windows
1. Open Windows File Explorer and type C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc into the URL bar located at the top of the window and hit Enter.
2. This will open a window with host files.
3. Now double-click on the first file called Hosts and open it through Notepad or any other text editor you have on your PC. Now place you mouse cursor at infront of 127.0.0.1 localhost or ::1 localhost and hit Enter. Create a new entry. Enter 127.0.0.1 put a space and then type the website URL you want to block for example 127.0.0.1 google.com. If you want to block more websites, hit enter and repeat the same process by adding more sites.
4. Click File and Save the edited host file. If you are asked if you would like to activate your administrator permissions to save the file, just click No.
5. Finally, right-click on the host file and select Properties. Go to the Security tab and select your user account and enable permissions. This will allow you save the file as administrator.
The above method works of versions of windows although the appearance of windows File Explorer may slightly differ.
How To Websites In Mac